While surfing around yesterday I found a blog, prettyfluffy.com, with a fantastic idea to help animals. I completely agree with the feeling of being overwhelmed by all the posts and photos out there of animals in need. What can we do to help? The idea is great. Commit to help animals in any way you choose. Make a list of 13 things you will do before 2013 to help animals. That’s it.
I sort of always have a list of things I want to do running in my head, now I am making my list and sticking to it. Join the 13 Project and spread the word. Wouldn’t it be amazing to see more “Going to my furever home” photos than “Urgent: Help!” listings? I think so.
Here’s my list:
- Offer assistance to rescue groups with fundraising (done/doing).
- Offer 10% of all custom pet portrait orders to rescue and shelter groups of the buyer’s choosing.
- Provide Lab Rescue LRCP with items for their silent auction.
- Buy 2013 calendar from From the Heart Rescue (the rescue where I found Simon and Olive).
- Buy (and sell) Yankee Candles in the Alliance for Responsible annual fundraiser. (Who doesn’t like a nice candle for Christmas?)
- Buy our Christmas cards from the National Wildlife Federation because I know I will not find time to make my own from my own work.
- Spread the word to help find lost pets in the Indy area as well as find the owners of those who have been found through Indy Lost Pet Alert.
- Donate towels, blankets, food and gently used toys to local shelters and rescues.
- Find and sign animal rights petitions.
- Promote responsible pet ownership and encourage people to spay/neuter their pets.
- Try to keep track of other people who are participating in The 13 Project and share their links on Facebook and Twitter (using the #the13project hashtag).
- Post, tweet, share, and pin stories of animals in need of help (already doing).
- Share the 13 Project with others!